The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), on Monday, permanently placed embargo on the registration of old Subscriber Identification Module (SIM) cards by telecoms providers.
The NCC Director of Public Affairs, Mr Tony Ojobo, made this known in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Abuja.
A SIM card is issued by telecoms operators to provide the individual user with the appropriate number recognised by that network after it has been inserted into a mobile phone.
Ojobo said the registration of old SIM cards ended in 2012, adding that network providers were only allowed to register new SIM cards.
‘‘Registration of new SIM cards was allowed to enable subscribers to have freedom of entry and exit from a mobile network to be able to switch to a new mobile network of their choice.
‘‘If the registration is stopped, how would foreigners that are coming to Nigeria or new citizens who are ripe to use mobile phones register? There is no time we can stop the registration.
‘‘What was stopped was the registration of old SIM cards after nine months that the official registration started, for old SIMs it has stopped, but for new it shall continue,’’ Ojobo said. Continue reading →
To use the Nigerian Mobile Number Portability System (MNP), subscribers would be required to submit certain documents. “To move your number to a new mobile operator, you need to bring proof of identity such as identity card, passport or driving licence or an officially-validated photographic identity document. Also, the mobile number you wish to port must be validly registered.”
Subscribers can also port their numbers at any customer care office, retail shop or outlet of their chosen new service provider and meet with the authorized sales person to request to port their number.
Executive Vice Chairman of NCC, Dr. Eugene Juwah also stated that porting is not available by telephone, online or other electronic means.
Meanwhile, subscribers wishing to change their operators to a preferred network are expected to terminate service with their existing service provider before initiating porting with the new service provider. Continue reading →
Dr Eugene Juwah (Chairman of the Nigerian Communications Commission)
The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has again fixed another date for the launch of Mobile Number Portability (MNP). This time, the commission chose April 22 as the new launch date across all networks of Global System for Mobile Communication (GSM).
“We are going to celebrate it in a colourful launch that will hold in Lagos on April 22,” Ojobo ( Director of Corporate Affairs at NCC) said.
NCC had earlier warned that it was not going to shift grounds on the planned roll out of MNP, and insisted that the roll out must be in April this year, without mentioning any particular date in April. The reason for not fixing a particular launch date earlier, according to Ojobo, was to allow the operators to choose a convenient date, based on the state of readiness of their networks. He had however insisted that the roll out of MNP would not exceed April this year.
NCC had fixed April 1, for the launch of MNP, but shifted it to an unknown date in the same month of April, after telecoms operators came begging for three weeks extension to enable them complete test-run of their networks, in preparation for the eventual roll out. Continue reading →
The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) Monday placed an indefinite ban on all telecoms promotions and lotteries.
Director, Public Affairs for NCC, Mr. Tony Ojobo, who gave the hint, said the decision became necessary, following increased congestion across networks that was traced to incessant promos and lotteries.
The ban according to Ojobo, would cover all proposed and approved promotions and lotteries on which the Commission had given approval further to the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) entered into with the National Lottery Regulatory Commission (NLRC). Continue reading →