BLACKBERRY HANDHELD AS A MODEM:
Below is a step by step guide as to using your Glo Mobile (Globacom Nigeria) blackberry as an internet modem to enable you browse on your personal computer.
The blackberry can act as a modem. To use as a modem the following must done:
– install desktop manager (use the cd that came with BBH – Blackberry handheld)
– configure the modem and add the extra initialization commands
– configure access to the internet
To Configure Modem and add extra initialization commands:
(Connect bbh to laptop with USB cable)
– go to control panel
– click on phones and modems
– choose standard modem
– click on properties
– click on diagnostics (to query for bb modem)
– click on advanced to add extra initialization commands:
When configuring access to internet enter the following as:
Phone number: *99#
Confirm password: gprs
UPDATED STEPS TO USING YOUR GLO MOBILE BLACKBERRY AS A MODEM
Ensure the Desktop Manager software has been installed. If installed, then connect device to laptop via USB. Then:
1. Go to All Programs
3. Desktop manager.
Check to see its status as connected in the blackberry desktop manager.
Then to set up the Modem, Go to the My Computer, right click and choose:
1. Manage/Device Manager.
3. Standard Modem.
5. Add the following extra initialization command: AT+cgdcont=1,”IP”, “glosecure”
6. Click OK.
7. Go to Diagnostics and query modem.
Ensure that the Modem is queried and click OK.
Then, go to:
1. Control Panel.
2. Network Connection.
3. Create New (and follow procedures).
4. ISP name – glosecure
5. Phone number – *99#
6. Username – gprs
Click Finish and select to create desktop shortcut.
Please be informed that you will be charged from your main account at the rate of 5k/Kbyte when using your blackberry as a modem.